Monday, July 28, 2008

Straight, No Chaser

Today is a Thelonious Monk day for me. it's beautiful out, my office door is open and I'm recovering from an eventfully awkward weekend with a bottle of apple juice. 100%, none of that concentrate.

I'll never forget the old clarinet player who used to stoop up behind my dorm in Providence and play his heart out. He was never any good, he just wanted to play for people. Now granted, his audience was the drunken student body on their way to and from the routine club scene carefully placed two streets away from our residence; it didn't matter to him, he just wanted to be heard. I often sat on the curb next to him to hear him play.. mostly improvisations, sometimes clips of real songs.. it didn't matter to him. One night on my way back from a shitty night with shitty people I asked him to play some Monk. Sure enough, he breaks into "Round Midnight," my favorite. It might've been the booze but it sounded perfect to me. He wasn't homeless despite common misconception, nor would he accept any money for fulfilling my request; I think he was just happy I was there. I sincerely hope he is still playing every night.

It's funny to think about now as I type this but I was never into jazz until Hey Arnold aired on Nickelodeon. I always said I wish I had a friend like Gerald... the dude had soul.


Britton and I are talking about creating a new agency.. still smoothing out details and what not, but i have a lot of faith in this project. I'd like to bring back my old graf name for this one... who knows what will come of it? here is a little sample of some possible identity work...



HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK SANTINO!!!

And you know it like a poet,
bam

1 comment:

rickstaaa said...

i love how you brought the sax player up
lets see if hes around when i come up to visit in 2 weeks